|Article ID: 1507|
Using the external modem port on the ADTRAN Express XRT/3000
Using the External Analog Modem Port on the ADTRAN Express XRT/3000
The external modem port on the Express XRT/3000 allows you to connect an external analog modem to the same serial port as the Express XRT/3000 without additional hardware. This document outlines how to enable/disable the external modem port.
Before you begin
NOTE: Currently the external modem port can be used with Windows® 95, 98 and the Macintosh® operating system.
Enable/Disable the External Modem Port
There are two methods for enabling and disabling an external modem.
- AT commands via a terminal emulation package
- AT_L1 enables the external modem.
- AT_L0 disables the external modem.
- Express Configuration WizardNOTE: Express Configuration Wizard requires that Carrier Detect (CD) on the external modem be set to Normal. This option is controlled by the AT&C1 command and can be configured as follows:
- Open a terminal emulation session using HyperACCESS or HyperTerminal.
- Enter AT_L1 (enables the external modem).
- Enter AT (the external modem responds with OK).
- Enter ATI (the external modem responds with its identification).
- Enter AT&C1 (the external modem responds with OK and should now be set for CD Normal).
- Enter AT&W (the external modem responds with OK and its current configuration should be stored).
- Enter AT_L0 (disables the external modem).The external modem is now configured correctly to work with Express Configuration Wizard. The external modem may now be enabled using the follow steps:
- Start the Express Configuration Wizard.
- Select the Add Tray Tool option under the Preferences tab.
- Select the Connect External Modem option under the Configuration tab.
- Exit the Express Configuration Wizard.
- Double-click on the Express Configuration Wizard Tray Tool. An X over the Tray Tool icon will indicate that the External Modem is enabled and the Express XRT is disabled. If the X is not over the Tray Tool icon, the External Modem is disabled and the Express XRT is enabled.
- Deselect the Add Tray Tool option under the Preferences tab.
- Deselect the Connect External Modem option under the Configuration tab.
Refer to "Installing an Analog Modem" in the User Manual for more information about external analog modems.