6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2013 12:15 PM by gerkhs

How to set the time on 706 and polycom ip phones connected to netvanta 7000 series devices

gerkhs New Member

Hello all

I'm wondering how to set the time on ip phones automatically using ntp/sntp. Do I just set the 7000 device to get time from an Internet time server and then the phones will automatically get time from the 7000? Phones are not displaying the correct time.

I appreciate the help

Thanks

• Re: How to set the time on 706 and polycom ip phones connected to netvanta 7000 series devices
          Employee

gerardo,

There are two pieces that need to be accounted for to make this work:

1 – Setting up the 7100 to be an SNTP server as well as to sync to an external SNTP server:

• System > Hostname/DNS > Primary/Secondary DNS IP Address: enter appropriate DNS servers and click Apply.
          • System > IP Services > SNTP Time Server: check the SNTP Time Server box and click Apply.
          • System > System Summary page > SNTP Time Server: input the appropriate SNTP server and click Apply.

CLI example configuration:

!

ip name-server 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.1

ip sntp server

sntp server time.nist.gov

!

Daylight Savings Time will automatically be accounted for with following command.  This is enabled by default:

clock auto-correct-DST

2 – Set the phones to get their time from the 7100:

Polycom phones get their time settings via DHCP.

• Navigate to System > DHCP Server > click on the appropriate DHCP Pool > Optional Configuration tab > populate the NTP Server to point to the IP address of your NetVanta 7100 and Timezone offset to your applicable timezone and click Apply.

CLI example configuration:

!

ip dhcp-server pool "VoIP_pool"

ntp-server 10.10.20.1

timezone-offset -6:00

!

Note:  Replace “VoIP_pool” with the name of your specific DHCP pool serving the phones, replace 10.10.20.1 with the IP address of your NetVanta 7100, and -6:00 with your applicable timezone offset.

IP 700 phones get their time settings from individual phone configuration files or globally from the adtran_customer.txt file.

• Navigate to Voice > IP Phone Globals > Global Files tab > ADTRAN adtran_customer.txt tab and paste the two settings in below.   Replace 10.10.20.1 with the proper IP address of your NetVanta 7100 and -0600 with your applicable timezone offset.

SntpServer 10.10.20.1

GmtOffset -0600

Note: In R2 firmware the IP 700 will also get time settings from DHCP, just like Polycom phones.  Also, make sure to save your configuration.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
          Matt