cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

UC420 to VMWare

Jump to solution

Has anyone converted a UC420 to a VMware server??  I did not see any articles in the manual section about converting a physical server to a virtual server.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UC420 to VMWare

Jump to solution

I wanted to update this thread with some new information   If the server is being relocated to VMware, a virtual image of the existing server using VMware's free tool should be used.  This tool essentially automates the whole procedure which can be run in concert with the live server until you want to enable it. 

VM Tool: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter

Instructions for performing a VMware Physical to Virtual migration: http://www.trainsignal.com/blog/vmware-p2v-migration

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It would be interesting to see if Adtran supports or tested this.

I know from my experiences at times there are sound quality issues when running telephony applications on a VM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It would be interesting.  I spend a lot of time with virtualized telephony services and I think it really boils down to the host VM environment, and making sure resources aren't too oversubscribed.  Wish I could spend time with ADTRAN's UC platform, or even an appliance.  I only have experience with their internetworking products...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Running UC software within a VMware environment is tested and approved.  However ADTRAN does not recommend installing VMware on a NetVanta 420 server.  Migrating a UC installation from a NetVanta 420 to a VMware instance is possible through backup and restore procedures.  The operating system must match between the old and new server when following this procedure.  The out of the box Windows license on a NetVanta 420 is limited and specifically tailored to NetVanta UC Server.  You would need to have a new Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 license for the defined instance of VMware that is going to run the virtualized copy of UC.  VMware is the only VM software solution supported by ADTRAN.  The new hardware running it would need to meet the system requirements defined by VMware in addition to reserving the proper amount of CPU and memory resources to meet the system requirements for NetVanta UC Server.  After the VMware instance is setup you would need to do a fresh install of UC and then use the backup and restore procedures to move it to the VMware instance.  This would require a new UC Server license key as the machine ID would change from the original version on the NetVanta 420.

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

That is what I was thinking, but I was hoping for a quick VMWare converter option.  Thanks for the answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It seemed relevant to this thread so I wanted to give everyone a heads up.  We just published a new guide on .

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks.

Message was edited by: matt - removed personal contact information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I wanted to update this thread with some new information   If the server is being relocated to VMware, a virtual image of the existing server using VMware's free tool should be used.  This tool essentially automates the whole procedure which can be run in concert with the live server until you want to enable it. 

VM Tool: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter

Instructions for performing a VMware Physical to Virtual migration: http://www.trainsignal.com/blog/vmware-p2v-migration

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Too easy--thanks Matt!

Message was edited by: matt - removed personal contact information

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Was there anything we needed to do the UC420 before we used the Converter? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Nothing has to be done ahead of time other than ensure the system is in the state you want to reproduce in VMware.

I went ahead and changed the Correct Answer on this post to reference the reply with the link to the VM converter tool.