Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

ADSL / PPPOE Configuration Help

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am replacing an old Cisco router at a customer site and since I've never configured ADSL on an AdTran product I need a little assistance. I'll be using a NetVanta 3458 with an ADSL NIM

Related part of existing Cisco Config:

interface ATM1/0

no ip address

no atm ilmi-keepalive

bundle-enable

dsl operating-mode auto

pvc 0/35

pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1

!

!

interface Dialer1

description ---------------------------------- ppoe dialer for ADSL connection

ip address negotiated

ip mtu 1490

encapsulation ppp

ip tcp adjust-mss 1452

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name redback

dialer-group 1

no cdp enable

ppp authentication pap chap callin

ppp chap hostname dsluser

ppp chap password 7 encrypteddslpass

ppp pap sent-username dsluser password 7 encrypteddslpass

What I think I need to do in the NetVanta:

interface adsl 2/1

no shutdown

!

!      

interface atm 1 point-to-point

no shutdown

cross-connect 2 adsl 2/1 atm 1

!

interface atm 1.1 point-to-point

no shutdown

pvc 0/35

no ip address

!

interface ppp 1

ip address negotiated

ip access-policy all-selfprotect

ppp authentication chap

no fair-queue

ppp chap password encrypted encrypteddslpass

no shutdown

cross-connect 3 atm 1.1 ppp 1 pppoe-client

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ADSL / PPPOE Configuration Help

Jump to solution

- I believe you opened a support ticket with Adtran Technical Support where it was determined that the PPPoE connection was unable to come up due to the mismatch PPP negotiation settings between the NetVanta and the Cisco router it was negotiating with.

The Cisco router was set to negotiate the PPP connection using CHAP. This means that the NetVanta would need to send a username and password through CHAP to the Cisco to authenticate the VPN connection. The NetVanta configuration settings based on your configuration above would need to look something like this:

interface ppp 1

ip address negotiated

no fair-queue

no shutdown

Note that the ppp authentication chap command was removed from the configuration you provided. This command will actually require the Cisco to authenticate to the NetVanta, which will cause issues if the Cisco is not sending a CHAP username and password.

Are you having any additional issues with your setup? Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@mmarkwood - Your sample NetVanta configuration looks correct. The ADSL interface will cross-connect with the ATM interface and the ATM sub-interface will cross-connect with the PPP interface, as you have already configured.

The following guides provide more details on how to set up ADSL and PPPoE connections:

Configuring PPP and PPPoE over ATM in AOS Quick Start Guide

If you are experiencing issues bringing the connection up, it would be helpful to see the following:

1. Output to "show interface".

2. Output to "debug ppp verbose" as the PPP connection negotiates.

**Note: I would recommend logging the output of this debug

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Noor

3. A copy of the configuration. Please remember to remove any information that may be sensitive to your network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

- I believe you opened a support ticket with Adtran Technical Support where it was determined that the PPPoE connection was unable to come up due to the mismatch PPP negotiation settings between the NetVanta and the Cisco router it was negotiating with.

The Cisco router was set to negotiate the PPP connection using CHAP. This means that the NetVanta would need to send a username and password through CHAP to the Cisco to authenticate the VPN connection. The NetVanta configuration settings based on your configuration above would need to look something like this:

interface ppp 1

ip address negotiated

no fair-queue

no shutdown

Note that the ppp authentication chap command was removed from the configuration you provided. This command will actually require the Cisco to authenticate to the NetVanta, which will cause issues if the Cisco is not sending a CHAP username and password.

Are you having any additional issues with your setup? Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Noor

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Noor

You are correct. I worked with support to determine the problem which wound up being that extra line in the config.