4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 4:58 AM by arthurcosta

Why would Adtran 7100 continuously report "INTERFACE_STATUS.giga-eth 0/1 changed state to testing"?

ctheise New Member

Connected to HP switch of unknow model.
      Current config:

interface gigabit-eth 0/1

speed 100

no shutdown

auto-speed gets the same result.

OS version A4.09.00.E

giga-eth 0/1 is IN TEST, line protocol is UP

Hardware address is 00:A0:C8:79:9C:9F

RJ-45 Shielded

100Mb/s, full-duplex

giga-eth 0/1 is UP, line protocol is UP

Hardware address is 00:A0:C8:79:9C:9F

RJ-45 Shielded

100Mb/s, full-duplex

• Re: Why would Adtran 7100 continuously report "INTERFACE_STATUS.giga-eth 0/1 changed state to testing"?
          Employee

ctheise,

Thanks for posting this.  The “IN TEST” port state occurs when the NetVanta receives a frame that has a source MAC address equal to the MAC address assigned to that Ethernet port.  A switch should never see it’s port MAC address as the source unless there is some kind of an Ethernet loopback in place or a device generated a frame with the unit’s MAC address by spoofing it.  The port MAC address is different than the system or VLAN MAC address.  Frames with a port MAC address will be sent with the following features:

LLDP  - turned off by issuing no lldp send-and-receive

BPDU - turned off by issuing spanning-tree bpdufilter enable on a switchport

GVRP - off by default

This physical loop that is being reported is different than a network topology loop that spanning-tree protocol would detect. You can observe this same behavior by making an Ethernet loop back plug and inserting it into a port on the unit.  If you are seeing this I would suggest investigating what is plugged into the unit and determining how or where a loopback is being created by it.

Thanks,

Matt

• Re: Why would Adtran 7100 continuously report "INTERFACE_STATUS.giga-eth 0/1 changed state to testing"?
              arthurcosta New Member

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my 7100, but the thing is, there is NOTHING connected to the port.

The mac address table shows that the port has a dynamic entry for it's own mac address. Even if I change the mac address of the port and bring it up, it adds its new own mac address to the table again.

2015.03.31 10:51:42 INTERFACE_STATUS.eth 0/7 changed state to administratively up

2015.03.31 10:51:55 INTERFACE_STATUS.eth 0/7 changed state to up

2015.03.31 10:51:56 INTERFACE_STATUS.eth 0/7 changed state to testing

Again, there is no cable connected to this interface!

port mac address : 00:a0:c8:95:9f:5e

mac table

2      00:a0:c8:95:9f:5e   DYNAMIC   eth 0/7

after changing the mac (to final 7F) it adds it too :

2      00:a0:c8:95:9f:7f   DYNAMIC   eth 0/7

Could it be a hardware problem?

Thanks.

ctheise New Member

Thank you Matt,  The suggested commands seem to have cleared the event entries.   I have marked you answer as correct.