cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sangeeth
New Contributor

Softphone & Hardphone simultaneous connection

Jump to solution

Hi- I am having Netventa 7100 working fine with Polycom 331, Today i tested with Softphone and it also worked great. My Question is it possible to use both Softphone and polycom 331 simultaneously for a user. I have some users that might need to use softphone while out of office but need to use hardphone when they are inside office.

I configure this senario  and found that i am able to make call through soft phone without any issue but when i disconnect the softphone and if somebody dials my extension it goes to voice mail.

Looking forward to get help in sorting this out.

Thanks in Advance

Sangeeth

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Softphone & Hardphone simultaneous connection

Jump to solution

Sangeeth,

If the user is only going to use one phone at a time that is ok to do.  When a hardphone or softphone registers with the NetVanta 7100, the IP address the registration comes from will be logged to keep track of where that extension lives so future calls can be routed to it.  For your test most likely what happened is the softphone registered after the hardphone, and then when you made the softphone unavailable the 7100 tried to route the call to the last known registered address for that extension from the softphone.  In the use case scenario you described this likely will not be an issue since the softphone will register and stay available until the user returns to the office.  If there is a case where both the hardphone and softphone need to be used at the same time the best way to accomplish that is to make the extension people dial to reach the user a ring-group number that will call a separate private extension for both the hardphone and softphone.  For example, I would give out 2011 as my extension for people to call me at, but really that is a ring group number that would ring my hardphone (x2098) and my softphone (x2099).  When people try to call me at x2011 both phones would ring and I could answer the call from either phone.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sangeeth,

If the user is only going to use one phone at a time that is ok to do.  When a hardphone or softphone registers with the NetVanta 7100, the IP address the registration comes from will be logged to keep track of where that extension lives so future calls can be routed to it.  For your test most likely what happened is the softphone registered after the hardphone, and then when you made the softphone unavailable the 7100 tried to route the call to the last known registered address for that extension from the softphone.  In the use case scenario you described this likely will not be an issue since the softphone will register and stay available until the user returns to the office.  If there is a case where both the hardphone and softphone need to be used at the same time the best way to accomplish that is to make the extension people dial to reach the user a ring-group number that will call a separate private extension for both the hardphone and softphone.  For example, I would give out 2011 as my extension for people to call me at, but really that is a ring group number that would ring my hardphone (x2098) and my softphone (x2099).  When people try to call me at x2011 both phones would ring and I could answer the call from either phone.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks very much Matt, I really appreciate your time answering me with such details.

I will try this out and will keep you informed.

Warm Regards

Sangeeth

Jump to solution

Hello Matt, That did worked well for me. Thank you. Today i cam across another issue.

We have our Netventa 7100 residing in United States and we are having Polycom IP331 in Both US and India, India we connect it via IPSEC (Point to Point) VPN between both sites through our Firewall.

Our India Users have lot of concern over the quality of voice in both Hard phone and softphone. In both there is a lot of Voice breaks and inconsistency in the quality.

Could you be able to help us in what can we do in india or US to get this issue solved.

Thanks in Advance.

-Sangeeth

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sangeeth,

I am glad to hear that worked.  Please come back to this post and mark the "Correct Answer" with the applicable button to highlight that solution and make it easier for others to find.

I see you made a new post about quality problems, which is what I was going to suggest.  It looks like someone is working with you on that already.

Thanks,

Matt

Jump to solution

Thanks, Matt, I have not got any help regarding the quality issues on my other thread though.

Thanks

Sangeeth

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

My mistake.  I replied on the other thread.

Thanks,

Matt