7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 8:58 AM by daniel.blackmon

vWLAN 2.2.1.19 to 2.2.1.20 upgrade problem

net11 New Member

I have been running vWLAN 2.2.1.19 for a few weeks on a test VM without problems, but when I upgraded to version 2.2.1.20, my BSAP-1800 v2 WAPs stopped communicating with vWLAN.

Their status is set to unknown in vWLAN. When I use putty to access the WAPs, I see the following information.

|----------- System Status ---------------|

802.11b/g Radio State: Inactive (Ch. -481)

802.11a   Radio State: Inactive (Ch. -481)

BSAP State: Communicating with the Controller

|-----------------------------------------|

Configuring Radio: 802.11b/g

I let the WAP sit for at least 30 minutes and it never finishes initializing. I have tried rebooting the WAP a few times via putty, power-cycling it by unplugging the POE injector, and shutting down and restarting the vWLAN VM, but the WAP never checks in with vWLAN.

I have used vWLAN for 2 years and this is the first problem I have experienced with an upgrade. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

• Re: vWLAN 2.2.1.19 to 2.2.1.20 upgrade problem
          jzsjr New Member

Net11,

Did you ever get this corrected?  What was the issue?

Jim

• Re: vWLAN 2.2.1.19 to 2.2.1.20 upgrade problem
            daniel.blackmon Employee

net11

In a situation like this it is extremely helpful to monitor the traffic between the AP and vWLAN. Unfortunately the ability to capture traffic on the vWLAN interface was removed in version 2.2 so it can be difficult to get the required information. Typically the reasons we see an issue like this in vWLAN 2.2 are:

• no firmware configured in the AP templates,
            • too many AP's trying to come online at one time, or
            • network/firewall issues.

The AP's need to download firmware from the controller so if any network disruption occurs, the AP may lose connectivity to the vWLAN. If this happens, then the AP might lose it's firmware image and boot into a low-level state. You will still be able to access it via the CLI, but it might take some time to recover automatically. Sometimes if the AP and vWLAN are on different subnets, there might be routing or firewall issue. Your firewall needs to allow the APs and vWLAN to communicate on TCP ports 28000 and 33333. You might also want to allow UDP 53 (DNS) as well.

These are the areas you will want to start looking at first. There are other reasons an AP might have issues initializing, but these are the main ones.