cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

ECS Music on Hold

Jump to solution

Where is the MoH files stored on ECS?  Secondly is there a way to use the system to record Music on Hold messages so they can be easily changed from time to time, like an Auto-Attendant message?

John Wable

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ECS Music on Hold

Jump to solution

John,

See the attached doc that I use in class. You can get the MOH editor from a UC Download. Do you have the install software still on file?

If you use the tool, try using it to replace the default to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

-Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Here is the Music on hold path for the default audio file:

<Install Dir>\ADTRAN\UCServer\SIPPBX\Prompts\System\MOH\3050.MOH.wav

You can create your own music on hold files using the audio editor in the UC Client Application and then use the tool in the attached document to additional files or even replace the default. It is pretty cool. You can have different MOH for user phones, call queues, etc... Let me know if you have any questions.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

Where do I find the editor referenced in the above PDF?  Also we have an issue where we changed the MOH file to a different file by renaming the orginal file name and then placing a new file in the directory with the orginal filename, it did not play correctly so we deleted the new file put the orginal file back to it's orginal name and after doing so all we get is silence.  The file can be played so it did not get corrupted.  We have stopped and restarted the services after changing it back, no change, we set the system to no music on hold, restarted the services got silence as expected, re-enabled music on hold and restarted the services and there is still dead air.  We even tried rebooting the server with the same effect.  Any other ideas on how to get the orginal file working again?  ECS 4.5 server.

John Wable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

Try restarting the entire server itself. I believe the database may not have loaded the file back yet. If you've already done that let me know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

See the attached doc that I use in class. You can get the MOH editor from a UC Download. Do you have the install software still on file?

If you use the tool, try using it to replace the default to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

-Mark

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

We managed to get the orgininal file working again after deleteing all copies of the file from the server, and then rebooting the server, restarting the services did not work.  We then put the original back on the system and it began working.  However it seems that the music on hold only works for internal calls only it does not work on any external calls.  I believe this is caused by the internal system uses a different codec then the external system.  It is setup with SIP to SIP connection using an Ingate Insiperator as the gateway device.  The outside facing trunks use the G.711 codec, however the internal side seems to use G.729.  As a test I used the PCMU MOH file from an Adtran 7100 and renamed the file to match the ECS file name, when we placed that file on the system the internal callers heard garbage when on hold, but external calls got dead air.  Can we verify this.

John Wable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

Was external music on hold ever working before you started messing with it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

I do not believe so.  The interest in it came along when they got a marketing intern who wanted to make up some advertisments to play over the MOH.  Until last week it has never been discussed or looked at.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

First thing we need to do is get internal MOH working and then we can test the external through the ingate.

I need you to use the MOH editor in the document that I mentioned. Use the 2nd one I posted for reference. That will add the new music and format it properly. If you don't ahve it let me know and i can load it to ftp server for you to grab.

Once you get the editor this is what you need to enter:

Enter one of the options: 1

Regular Expression: .*

MOH File (Include full path): c:\MOH_Files\YourNewMOHFile.wav

Priority [1-100]: 100

Test then reply back results.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

by the way, you can do the marketing advertisements very easy with the editor tool. I can explain once we get it working again if you would like to know the process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

When running the tool everytime I chose the list option either by name or number it closes the tool.  I saw where in the tool it talks about a difference in database names between 4 and 5, the tool I have is from ECS 5.1 but the server is running ECS 4.5 are theree any changes I need to make in the script to account for that?

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

Yeah sorry that tool is for 5.0 and later, my bad, forgot you had 4.5

I have attached an original 3050.MOH.wav file for you to use to replace.

Then go to the install directory and run the "Restart All UC Serverices" batch file. Do you know where that is.

Test that. Have one user call another local extension and then just place them on hold.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

Interesting side note, I ran the tool prior to your reply as outlined, and it took the file that was there and did some sort of modification to the file doubling it's size.  So maybe it is still doing the reformating of the file even if it it is not making the database changes.  If that is the case it may resolve the inital issue of the file they wanted to use being formated incorrectly which was causing the garbage to be played.  I have the orgininal file on standby and test again tomorrow.  By the way I think I was in your UC training in Atlanta back in Novemember of 2010.

John Wable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

That is great! Yes, that does sound like what it is doing. It is not able to update the database because the Database name changed in 5.0. So yeah just use that file and rename it as 3050_MOH.wav. 

I was wondering if you had attended one of my classes. Sorry I didn't remember. Hard to remember all the students that come through.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

Using the editor to convert the file fixed the internal music on hold, we where able to use it to make a custom file.  Now the problem is there is no MOH for external calls.  I think it has to do with the fact it is running sip to sip and the outbound SIP trunk is G711 only, but I am not 100% sure.  I will poke around in the logs of Ingate Insiperator and see if I can find anything that might confirm this.

John Wable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

Sounds like the Ingate might be the problem. What version of code are you running on the Ingate? We certify versions of code that must be run on the Ingate when used with the ECS. The latest version that we have passed is 4.9.1

If you are not running that version, you will need to upgrade the Ingate. There was some problems that Ingate had to fix to correct the MOH issue.

How many simulaneous calls are you doing through the Ingate?

Just an FYI, ADTRAN now has a solution to replace ingate as edge firewall using the new SBC (Session Border Controller) firmware. You can call our Pre-sales Applications Engineering team for more details. Most products that support the SBC can do up to 50 but one version of 3448 can do 100 and the 4430 can do 300 calls. See link for more info:  https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-5054

Regarding customizing the MOH annoucements, what did you try to do to make a custom file? What steps?

Let me know what you find out about the Ingate.

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

The Ingate is a SIPRator 21 firmware version 4.9.2 max simultaneous calls is 20.  We did the Ingate because at the time of the customer install the Total Access product line did not support SIP to SIP with ECS.

John Wable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

John,

You need to downgrade the Ingate to 4.9.1. From our internal testing 4.9.2 did not pass our tests.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

To make the custom file we followed the below steps.

1. Created a test user on the system

2. Using the system to dial a handset recorded the the message as a user message

3. Located that message on the system and saved it to the MOH folder on the system as 3050_moh.wav, that file was 1.3 MB

4. Used the MOHEditor script and put that file in as the file

5. The MOHEditor then ran the the file through the audio converter application which doubled the files size

6. Made sure the Admin Client was shut down and ran the restart services script

The user wants to be able to change the message  from time to time without needing to create a file, then convert it, then do the final conversion in the system.  They plan on voice based messages to be played with sales announcements instead of music.

John Wable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Mark,

Can you provide any details on what failed?

John Wable