cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Linking two Netvanta 7100 to make it 1 phone system.

Jump to solution

Hi,  I have a customer that has a Netvanta 7100.  They are maxed out on their phones, 100 phones that is.  They want to link a second 7100 to it.  Does anyone have a cheat sheet or guide for this?  I'm interested in PROs and CONs.

Customer want to do this for two reasons. 1, they are max out.  and 2 they are experience phone drops.  I think TECH support told them that because they are maxed out.

Current configuration - 7100, PRI, and 100 phones.

New configuration - 7100, PRI, 50 plus phones---7100, 50 plus phones.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Linking two Netvanta 7100 to make it 1 phone system.

Jump to solution

touristsis,

You can separate phone extensions and auto-attendants on systems by building SIP trunks between them and modifying the accept entries on the trunks to only match particular extensions that live on each system.  However, you identified some potential hardships in making this appear as one system.  Voicemail and call park are both definitely local to each individual 7100.  A system directory would have to be manually built and maintained, which can make it tedious to manage depending on how often moves, adds, and changes occur. 

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-3455

I actually found the guide.  But it only shows how to tie the two system together.

Current 7100 - Extension 3100 - 3499

Can I make the two system seemless?  3100-3175 on System 1

3186-3250 on System 2?

or will the numbering plan or extension conflict?

How about auto attendant and voicemail.  Can extension on system 2 be on the directory of system 1?

Can we park phone calls across the two system?

Have anyone done this?  Any suggestions, tips, problems, etc?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

touristsis,

You can separate phone extensions and auto-attendants on systems by building SIP trunks between them and modifying the accept entries on the trunks to only match particular extensions that live on each system.  However, you identified some potential hardships in making this appear as one system.  Voicemail and call park are both definitely local to each individual 7100.  A system directory would have to be manually built and maintained, which can make it tedious to manage depending on how often moves, adds, and changes occur. 

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Matt.  Do you have a guide on building a system directory?  Moves, adds, and changes does not occur too often, so that should be fine.  We are just trying to keep this customer going for another year until they can afford to upgrade to the Unified Enterprise Server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Like Matt said, the voicemail and call park are both local to the individual 7100 but voicemail can be done through a single system by adding the BCS which would do voicemail auto attendant, conference bridge, database integration and much more.  more info at: https://www.adtran.com/web/page/portal/Adtran/product/1951050SAG1*

Hope that helps:

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

yes ECS would do all that! I would recommend calling our Applications pre-sales engineering department before you migrate to the ECS so you can understand the difference between the 7100 and ECS. There are many features that are only supported on each PBX and not shared between the two.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Mark, I totally understand this customer need to upgrade eventually to the BCS or ECS.  But for now, even know I know it's tedious, do we have a guide on building a system directory so I can temporary get them going as they are growing very fast right now.  They don't have the budget to do a major upgrade until next year.

While we at it, I have one more question pertaining to networking two 7100 together.  Let's say site A and B.  On A, I will create a sip trunk from A to connect to B.  Do I need any authentication on B like user name and password?  What about the other way around?

On the guide it just shows you how to create a sip trunk and set it up as local.  I can't imagine it's that simple.  So anyone can connect to my system and tell them they are a remote site without any authenication?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

touristsis

You would just need to navigate to the Voice-->IP Phone Globals GUI page of the NV7100.  On the Global Directory tab there is an option at the bottom to Add custom directory entry.  So on NV7100-A, for example, you would want to add a directory entry for every extension that will be created on NV7100-B.

It would not be necessary to configure SIP authentication between the 2 NV7100's since these are both trusted systems.  NV7100-A, for example, will only respond to SIP messages from NV7100-B because of the sip-server address in the SIP trunk configuration.  So it would not be possible for a remote party to connect through this SIP trunk since that remote traffic would not be sourced from the IP address configured on the peer NV7100. 

Thanks,

Charles

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank You Adtran Support.  I think I understand now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Can you come back to this thread and select a Correct Answer from the applicable buttons next to each reply?  That will flag this thread as containing a solution so others can find it more easily.  Also, if any other responses helped feel free to mark them as Helpful Answers.

Thanks,

Matt