9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2013 5:55 AM by levi

Shrewsoft VPN, Cannot Open Manage Screen

bcrinehart Past_Featured_Member

I've been using the Shrewsoft VPN client from my notebook for about two years. Recently, I discovered that I can't open the Manage window. If I launch the program from Start in Windows 7, it appears in the task bar. It will not open the Manage window on the screen. I can connect to the VPN tunnels that are already configured in Shrewsoft but I can't open the Manage window to edit parameters or add any more.

When I launch it, it appears in the task bar on the right with the rest of the "hidden" icons. If I right click on that ICON, it displays a menu that shows three options, Connect, Manage and Exit. If I point to Connect, it shows me the list of VPNs already configured. If I click on Manage, it acts as if it launched it but nothing appears on my screen.

• Re: Shrewsoft VPN, Can Open Manage Screen

Oops, the subject should read "Cannot Open Manage Screen".

• Re: Shrewsoft VPN, Cannot Open Manage Screen
            levi Employee

bcrinehart:

Thank you for asking this question in the support community.  I searched Shrew Soft's website, and found a post from someone else having a similar issue with Shrew Soft's VPN client.

Here is the post from Shrew Soft's website:  [vpn-help] Can't open Manage

I hope this also resolves your issue.

Levi

Levi,

Yes, that is the problem. The last time I used the Shrewsoft VPN, my Windows 7 notebook was connected to the docking station and second monitor. When I initially wrote this question, I was trying to use Shrewsoft from a hotel so I did not have access to a second monitor. Instead, I used "regedit" to open the registry and make some adjustments.

I found  the software listed under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software. I opened Shrewsoft, vpn, user and edited the entries until the Shrewsoft Access Manager icon appeared in the task bar on my monitor. I attempted to edit the mngr-x-pos and mngr-y-pos but that did not bring the manager window into view. (Currently, the manager is on the main monitor screen and the x position is 196 and the y position is 356.

I believe that the settings that brought the window back into view were mngr-view-style and mngr-window-style. Currently, they are both set to two. To resolve the issue, I changed these values until I saw the Manager Window icon on the task bar. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of trying to set up a VPN and I did not record the settings.

I did attempt to resolve the issue through the Shrewsoft web site. While this did not resolve my issue, I did notice that the latest version of this software is from 2010. Is this still a viable product?

levi Employee

bcrinehart:

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post and unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Levi