4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 9:00 AM by daniel.blackmon

CLI Configuration of remote vWLAN Access Points

adtran_dealer New Member

When manually configuring vWLAN Access Points via the CLI, can you enter a hostname instead of an IP Address for the Primary and Secondary Controller addresses?

• Re: CLI Configuration of remote vWLAN Access Points
          daniel.blackmon Employee

Unfortunately you cannot use a hostname although it is probably worth noting that AP's can discover the controller using DNS. A BSAP will make a DNS request for apdiscovery. In your local DNS server, you would just simply need to create the appropriate records for that hostname.

You can also use an ASCII string in DHCP option 43 to point to the IP address of the controller.

You may the following articles useful as you move forward.

AP Discovery vWLAN Version 2.1 and Prior

vWLAN AP Discovery

adtran_dealer New Member

Well that's a bummer.  Is that something Adtran can put on the roadmap as a feature enhancements to their APs?  We are competing against Meraki/Cisco on a regular basis and access to or control of a local DNS server is not always available much less configurable to the extent required to support BlueSocket APs.  I need to be able to preconfigure a hostname for the primary and secondary vWLAN Controller in the CLI of the AP and then drop ship APs to clients where they can simply plug them in and they work.  This is a pretty big limitation.  Static IPs aren't a good solution as IPs can change over time as we switch between carriers and or expand our network.

daniel.blackmon Employee

I will be more than happy to open a product improvement request on your behalf. If you have any specific requirements, please respond in kind so I can pass these on to the design team.

My only initial concern is in regards to the version of vWLAN you are running. In vWLAN 2.1 we do NOT support the controller behind a NAT. We introduced vWLAN behind NAT in vWLAN 2.2.1.20. However, in order to implement this we had to introduce a new setting that would effectively force vWLAN to send out the public IP address in it's communications with the AP. Basically, the problem in vWLAN 2.1 is that the controller provides its address to the AP in the configuration, and that IP address would not reflect the NAT. In order to support NAT, we allowed a vWLAN setting to adjust the parameters before sending the information to the AP. It's sort of like an internal ALG if you will. So I think we would need to make two improvements to bring this application to fruition.

Again, just let me know what ideas or concerns you may have, and I will pass this along. Sorry for the headaches this may cause you in the present.

daniel.blackmon Employee

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.”  If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons.  This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily as well as award points to the users that helped you.  If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.