5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 9:29 AM by nick

VWLAN bandwidth requirements

ianterry New Member

HI

Outside of authentication services activity, what are the likely bandwidth requirements to manage a Bluesocket deployment ?

Trying to gauge the amount of bandwidth requirements for daily operation and whilst I appreciate there are additional features available to monitor activity for security, I would be interested to know if there is a baseline figure.

Thanks

• Re: VWLAN bandwidth requirements
          daniel.blackmon Employee

Typically vWLAN is run within the LAN, and in such cases bandwidth is not an issue. But if you have remote BSAP's, then your internet connection does come into play. However, vWLAN is unique in that the data and control planes are separated between the AP and vWLAN. Client traffic does not filter through vWLAN. vWLAN is really only used for control, and that traffic is pretty well limited; I doubt you would run into an issue. The BSAP's actually handle all the client traffic so your major bandwidth requirements are limited to the AP's themselves.

Other users may have some insight into their usage.

ianterry New Member

Thanks - I appreciate that traffic doesn't flow through the vWLAN outside of authentication, but there must be some overhead for management information to be exchanged between AP and vWLAN.

Thanks again

Regards, Ian

daniel.blackmon Employee

I guess what I'm getting at is that you really aren't going to run into an issue assuming your vWLAN and AP's are plugged into 100M/full ports. If you're looking for a specific number, I have 3 test AP's on a vWLAN 2.2 install. This information should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'm looking at the switch port where the AP is attached to the rest of the network. These are test AP's so I typically have no clients associated. The 5 minute input rate is currently 424bps and the output rate is 592bps for a BSAP 1920. Other models have similar statistics, so you're probably looking at 500bps/AP.

ianterry New Member

Will be connecting to our local environment as Gigabit, but we want to manage APs remotely across the WAN so bandwidth for us needs to be considered. We aren't using broadband that isn't any good in terms of guaranteed rates so we have a private MPLS which we an flex but there are cost points. So the less the better in terms of usage.

Regards, Ian

nick Employee

I went ahead and flagged this post as “Assumed Answered.” If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as either Correct or Helpful answers with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily as well as award points to the users that helped you. If you still need assistance, I would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let me know in a reply.