7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 12:37 PM by nick

Issues with Apple Device Connecting

falkor New Member

I am noticing situations when Apple devices seem to have a hard time connecting to an SSID throughout our schools. 

1) It may begin when "Forgetting" a SSID or network and re-connecting to another.  It will take a couple of tries before an iPad will connect.

2) Another example is when we have a cart of iPads connected, but then a handful will lose the connection to the network.  We will then attempt to manually reconnect and after about 30-45seconds, it will re-join the network.

3) We have the same SSID names throughout our district, but each school is in its own domain, and subnet.  I have noticed that when traveling from one school to another, the iPad may or may not reconnect to the network at the new location.  Sometimes it does, sometimes not.  I cannot seem to find a common denominator to the incidents.

I do not seem to have these issues with Microsoft Laptops, it only appears to occur with Apple devices. 

Any thoughts??

John Sturk

Network Coordinator

Oswego CUSD308

jsturk@oswego308.org

• Re: Issues with Apple Device Connecting
          nick Employee

John,

What version of vWLAN, patches, and AP firmware do you currently have in production?  Also, what kind of authentication, if any, is configured on the SSID?

falkor New Member

vWlan Version V2_3_0_09 

AP Firmware Version  6.7.0-1317 

No Patches currently running.  We are using Radius for authenticaion for the SSID's the devices connect to, except for the AppleTV's which connect to an SSID that is not broadcast, and is automatically assigned a role.  Its Microsoft's version of Radius, Network Policy Server. We are using a BonJour Gateway so the Ipads can connect to the AppleTV's that are on a different subnet.  We have a separate subnet for the AppleTV, the Teachers iPad and the Students iPad.  We do have a separate SSID which uses Captive Portal and authentication is using LDAP, but we are not connecting the Apple devices to this SSID.

nick Employee

This particular situation would be better handled in a support ticket.   If you open a ticket please come back to this thread after it is resolved to post the solution so others can benefit from it.  You can create one using any of the methods listed below.  Please reference the URL of this thread when opening the ticket to help provide background information to our support team.

- Open a webticket by clicking on this link: Create a Service Request

- Open a ticket by emailing support@adtran.com

- Open a ticket by phone by calling 1-888-423-8726

net11 New Member

John,

Have you contacted Adtran support about these problems? We are having similar problems with Apple devices, especially roaming from one subnet to another.

falkor New Member

Yes I have brought this to their attention, however they did not give me a resolution.  I have applied the latest patch to vWlan, but this did not resolve it.  I am also having an issue with users getting knocked off, and/or new users connecting.  This seems to happen like clockwork every 2 weeks.  A reboot of vWlan resolves this.  I was hoping the patch would resolve this problem.

nick Employee

falkor

Does this issue still persists with vPatch 2-3-0-04 and AP firmware 6.7.0-23?

nick Employee

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.