6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 1:28 PM by nick

How do I configure a basic setup

mrcliffyg New Member

I know that the vWLAN controller is capable of much more than this but on this particular system at this particular time the client wants an "input WPA key and go" solution.

How can I configure the vWLAN Controller (2.3.0.9) to make this work?

• Re: How do I configure a basic setup
          nick Employee

This can be found under the "Configuring an SSID" section beginning on page 151 of the Bluesocket vWLAN Administrator's Guide

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mrcliffyg New Member

That's helpful but it's not a complete answer. If you follow that section you end up with an SSID that allows client connections but no public network access. With the "unregistered" role setup wireless clients get put onto the "private" (10.252.x.x) network and are thus unable to access LAN resources.

If you set the role to "Guest" then you must authenticate using the specific logon page, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

So, what's the 2nd half of the puzzle?

daniel.blackmon Employee

mrcliffyg

You will want to configure the SSID with a WPA preshared key (WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK), and then set the default role on the SSID to something other than Un-registered. Your settings should look similar to the following screenshot.

easyaccess.png

As long as the SSID has a default role, the captive portal (web auth) will not be used. The captive portal is only used when the default role on the SSID is set to Un-registered.

mrcliffyg New Member

I must not be explaining this right. You have an "allow-all" setup. Presumably so anyone with the correct wpa/wpa2 key doesn't have to go through a specific authorization step. How did you do this?

nick Employee

mrcliffyg

You would need to first create a new Role under Configuration > Role Based Access Control > Roles > Create Role. From here, you can assign the Role a Name and apply firewall polices similar to the following screen shots:

allow-allrole1.jpgallow-allrole2.jpg

As long as the SSID has a default role, the captive portal (web auth) will not be used. The captive portal is only used when the default role on the SSID is set to Un-registered.  Be sure that when you are making changes to the SSIDs that you are applying the change to the SSID.  You should see a Domain Task in the upper right hand corner of the screen once you have made a change that requires a configuration update.

nick Employee

I went ahead and flagged this post as "Assumed Answered". If any of the responses on this thread assisted you, please mark them as Correct or Helpful as the case may be with the applicable buttons. This will make them visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update. If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.