4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 9:46 AM by dsc

DS3 cross connects -upgrading to an OC3

ciscokid New Member

Will DS3 cross connects copy from Common A to Common B when upgrading to an OC3? They do copy from B to A.

• Re: DS3 cross connects -upgrading to an OC3
          dsc Employee

It will copy from Common A to Common B the same as it does from B to A.  As a precaution, I would recommend checking the number of vc/vp's (cross connects) in the DS3 card and then confirming the same amount of vc/vp's exist in the new OC3 card.  That number is reported in the vc/vp provisioning screen in the upper left area.

dsc Employee

I went ahead and flagged the "Correct Answer" on this post to make it more visible and help other members of the community find solutions more easily. If you don't feel like the answer I marked was correct, feel free to come back to this post to unmark it and select another in its place with the applicable buttons.  If you have any additional information on this that others may benefit from, please come back to this post to provide an update.  If you still need assistance, we would be more than happy to continue working with you on this - just let us know in a reply.

Thanks,

Darren

ciscokid New Member

Actually, this is not the case at all.. We have had several failures when DS3 card is in slot B and OC3 card in slot A. When doing the upgrade if the OC3 card is already slotted it will not copy the cross connects from B. You have to manual move all the cross-connects and this is very time consuming and results in a longer outage for customers. The only time it will auto copy is when there is the ds3 card is in Slot a, then you can add new OC3 card to slot B and cross connects will copy. Once copied you can move.OC3 card to slot A after removing DS3 card. We see alot of this as field tech's will sometimes will go ahead and slot OC3 card. ty

dsc Employee

I am surprised it works differently concerning what slot, A or B, either card is installed.  Linked Provisioning is negotiated by both cards and is not declared up until both cards "agree" it is up.  Your initial statement made me think it works from B to A; DS3 CSM to OC3 CSM.

Provisioning all the VC or VP cross-connects manually would be time consuming.  If the cross-connects do not copy you can pre-prevision the OC3 before cutting the DS3 over to an OC3.

One thing that may keep cross-connects from copying from one card to the other is code revisions between the cards being too far apart.  Making sure both cards are on the latest release may make the cross-connect copy work.

Thanks,

Darren