cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtrutledge
New Contributor

Netvanta 1534p InterVLAN Routing

Jump to solution

Can I do inter vlan routing on the Netvanta 1534p?

I have 4 VLANS:

VLAN 1 (native) - Most users data

VLAN 5 - VOIP

VLAN 10 - Servers

VLAN 20 - Management

What I would like to do is to have anyone in VLAN20 be able to get to anything on VLAN1 and VLAN10.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Netvanta 1534p InterVLAN Routing

Jump to solution

This is normally handled with a router.  Fortunately, if your 1234P is second generation with firmware R10.8.0 and higher, you have Layer 3 lite available.  Three simple steps:

1.  In golbal configuration, turn on routing by issuing a "IP Routing" statement.

2.  create vlan interfaces that match the desired vlans that you are using to route traffic and assign an appropriate ip address to the interfaces.  Make sure to enable the interface.  I sometime forget.

Then you can use the switch's vlan interface IP address as the default gateway for devices on their respective vlans. 

3.  Finally, add a route 0.0.0.0 /0 with the gateway address of your router for internet access.  You may also need to add a route statement in your router so that it is aware of the networks of your vlans.  Layer 3 lite on the NetVanta supports static routing, but not any of the routing protocols such as RIP and OSPF.

If your 1234 is first generation, then you will need to rely on a separate router to route traffic from VLAN 10 to 1 & 20.  In that case, I would suggest putting one of the switch ports in Trunk Mode, and delivering the vlans to the router (assuming the router has that capability.  Almost all of the NetVanta routers do).

I hope this helps.

R\

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This is normally handled with a router.  Fortunately, if your 1234P is second generation with firmware R10.8.0 and higher, you have Layer 3 lite available.  Three simple steps:

1.  In golbal configuration, turn on routing by issuing a "IP Routing" statement.

2.  create vlan interfaces that match the desired vlans that you are using to route traffic and assign an appropriate ip address to the interfaces.  Make sure to enable the interface.  I sometime forget.

Then you can use the switch's vlan interface IP address as the default gateway for devices on their respective vlans. 

3.  Finally, add a route 0.0.0.0 /0 with the gateway address of your router for internet access.  You may also need to add a route statement in your router so that it is aware of the networks of your vlans.  Layer 3 lite on the NetVanta supports static routing, but not any of the routing protocols such as RIP and OSPF.

If your 1234 is first generation, then you will need to rely on a separate router to route traffic from VLAN 10 to 1 & 20.  In that case, I would suggest putting one of the switch ports in Trunk Mode, and delivering the vlans to the router (assuming the router has that capability.  Almost all of the NetVanta routers do).

I hope this helps.

R\

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you. This solved my problem. I was able to upgrade the firmware and turn on the ip routing.