7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 2:49 PM by adtn99

FTP Timeouts and TELNET drop outs over MX410

myancey New Member

We recently installed MX410 systems to support remote login of several Opti-6100 systems and we are having connection issues. There are four MX410's connecting to a MX412 at a hub site and the MX412 connects to our central office via a 1.5Mb SONET GFP path. Whenever I try and do a SCA save via FTP to our server at the central office I get a timeout error on the Opti-6100. I have also had sever issues trying to use SSH for menu access and had to fall back to TELNET which still on occasion drops me out. There are two Opti-6100's connected to the MX412 via GFP paths and FTP and SSH works fine on them. The issue is only over the MX410/MX412 DS1 LCP/BCP bridge links. I have checked the performance registers on the MX410's and MX412 and none of them show any errors on the DS1's.

Any idea what is causing these issues and if there is anyway I can fix them?

• Re: FTP Timeouts and TELNET drop outs over MX410
          adtn99 Employee

I'd like to know more about the MX410/OPTI management connections and provisioning.  Your trouble description indicates all the MX410/OPTI management connections have the same issue so I recommend we concentrate our efforts on one of these systems i.e. whatever the issue is will be common to all of them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              myancey New Member

I agree with your synopsis. What specifically do you need to know?

Each Opti system is connected to the MX410’s via the Ethernet-1 port on the SCM2 module (rear chassis connection)  and switch port 1 on the MX410.  Both ports are set to auto and are currently running at 100Mb full duplex. I tried forcing one to 10Mb, but that didn’t help.  The PPP interfaces in the MX410’s are set to BCP.

adtn99 Employee

myancey,

Ok, Ethernet between the OPTI's LAN connection and the MX410's Ethernet 1 port 100mb full duplex.  Is it safe for me to assume the T1 carrying the PPP is provisioned ESF/B8ZS?  You meerly mentioned there were no errors being recorded at the T1 level of the MX410/412 on your initial response.  How about the MTU size is it set correctly (1500 or 1520 default is 1500)?

I'd also recommend breaking the Auto 100Mb full duplex connection between the MX410 and OPTI (yes unplug the RJ45 cable from the MX410 Ethernet 1) and configure the MX410's Ethernet 1 port for 100Mb full duplex instead of leaving it on Auto you can then reconnect the MX410 and OPTI.  The OPTI will then resync via Auto off of the MX410's configured Ethernet 100Mb full duplex interface.  Sometimes when both units are set for Auto they will appear to be up however sometimes they will exhibit strange behaviour. 

Since you have several of these I don't think the issue is the RJ45 cable, but we may want to replace one for grins and giggles as a last resort down the road.

myancey New Member

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, the T1's are provision ESF/B8ZS. The MTU is set to 1500 (Default) butI did try changing it to 1520 in the MX412. If I remember right, I wasn't able to chaneg the MTU size for the PPP port on the MX410. Unforunately I do not have access to the network today to re-verify.

I can attempt changing the Ethernet AUTO setting next Wednesday when I can get to one of the remote sites.

adtn99 Employee

Ok, just let me know the results of the test.  Also, how many DS0s are you using i.e. what is the bandwidth being delivered to the PPP?

myancey New Member

Sorry for the delay in responding, again.

We have actually worked this out now and it appears the problem was with the MX412. At our CO we have another mux that does the same function as we were using the MX412 for (hub multiple T1 bridges) and when we connected the MX410's to it, FTP and SSH sessions worked without any drop outs. I'll have to assume that I had something mis-configured in the MX412. Unfortunately I do not have time to figure out what was actually going on without set up now that everything is working.

And to answer your last questions, we are using the full T1 (24 DS0's) for each bridge.

Thanks for the help!

adtn99 Employee

myancey,

Ok, thanks for the update!  When you get a spare moment perhaps you can open a tech support request on the MX412 to go over configuration and figure out what the issue is.  If all looks ok perhaps it is a defective unit?  I will be happy to check the warranty status for you.  All I need is the unit's serial number.