Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgoldey
New Contributor II

Firmware update removes navigation menu

Jump to solution

Folks:

I'm having a series of related problems working on a new from the box 1335 (P/N 1700515F2#120).  The punchline is that the latest firmware removes the navigation menu from the left side of the admin GUI, with a pop-up error message in the browser that reads:   "Error getting menu:  TypeError: group.links[selIdx] is undefined"   The firmware seems to run the unit OK, but of course the GUI is unusable like that.

I started with Firmware v. 18.02.01.00.E which is from 2011.  The admin interface worked fine, and so did the default 10.10.10.0/24 subnet, but I could not get the router to connect to the Internet on VLAN 2.  Maybe I screwed something up, but I don't think so, and for good measure I followed to the letter.  So, I decided to upgrade the firmware to this:  NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz from here https://www.adtran.com/web/SoftwareDownload/90/sw/9536

This threw up the TypeError message above and, because I hadn't gotten console access, I had a hard time resetting the Firmware to 18.02.  But I did it.

I then decided to start over with a fresh config file using 18.02, and I uploaded the default 1335 configuration from here:     But something else got screwed up because I wasn't getting a fresh config.  So I opened the console and discovered that the startup-config file wasn't being updated.  Instead, the startup configuration file is actually a file named NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz, which is cuckoo because that is the file name of the most recent Firmware!  This .biz file is much smaller than a firmware image, and it's clearly the configuration info, b/c I read it in a text editor.

I know you don't believe me, so here's some console output:

Switch#dir flash

11414703 9950515-2A180201.biz

2508 NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz

2470 NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz.bak

906 startup-config

4414 startup-config.bak

11566545 bytes used, 18015630 available, 29582175 total

Switch#copy running-config startup-config

Building configuration...

Done. Success!

Switch#dir flash

11414703 9950515-2A180201.biz

2508 NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz

2508 NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz.bak

906 startup-config

4414 startup-config.bak

11566545 bytes used, 18015630 available, 29582175 total

See how the copy command updated the .biz.bak file, instead of touching the startup-config file?  I think that's because the actual config is being held in NVRAM with that name (and it's being flushed to flash):

System returned to ROM by Warm Start

Current system image file is "9950515-2A180201.biz"

Primary boot system image file is "9950515-2A180201.biz"

Backup boot system image file is "NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz"

Primary system configuration file is "NONVOL:/NV1335A-R10-9-1-E.biz"

Backup system configuration file is "NONVOL:/9950515-2A180201.biz"

The last thing I tried was to upload the R10-9-1-E Firmware with a different name and boot into it, which worked fine except the GUI navigation menu disappears.  So, back to stock, and I guess this leads to two questions:

1) What is the correct, up-to-date Firmware for this router, and/or why is that Firmware throwing the navigation bar error?

2) What's the best way to sort out this file naming snafu?  Conceptually, I think that what I want to do is:

Backup the flash version of the NV1335...biz config file (just to be safe);

Delete all of the config files on the Flash file system;

Flush the running config from NVRAM to Flash but change the name to startup-config.

Frankly, I could live with nuking all of the config info, wherever located, and uploading a new default config file, too, so long as it gives me the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet and a GUI to work with.

Thanks for any thoughts, and please LMK if you need more information.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mgoldey
New Contributor II

Re: Firmware update removes navigation menu

Jump to solution

Tech support decided to RMA the unit as having a bad flash memory.  So I guess that's the answer.

Thanks again for your help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I think you've had something fail on updating the firmware. Not sure what went wrong but those file sizes are way to small. If you can do a "show system" from the console and it will tell you what version is booted. When you upload the new firmware it will take a few minutes. I've usually seen it go 2-4 minutes to upload. You should get a green text saying it was successfully uploaded. Follow this document for the upgrade:

https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1672

I've seen issues with several newer versions of firmware and the menus. Sometimes it works better with different browsers. I've had the best luck with Firefox. Usually IE works ok depending on the version. I see most menu problems with Chrome.

I'd try erasing the startup config with a console cable hooked up. Should be "erase startup-config" This will wipe the box totally and it should run you through a startup process on reboot asking for IP address and a few other options. It will NOT enable the web interface so you'll need to do that manually. Should be "http server" from the config mode. Or "http server-secure" if you want https. It maybe "ip http server" depending on your version of firmware. Also see this link for instructions on defaulting the config: https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-2923

mgoldey
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply. 

Yes, the small files are actually the running config file, not the Firmware files.  I can upload the Fireware files just fine (and I am using Firefox, FWIW.)

I've discovered what may be the root of the problem:  the startup-config file seems to be read only an can only be modified through a root "do" command.  Even the router GUI can't modify it.  This explains a number of things described above, like the variant config file names, and also why the unit won't route to the Internet:  no matter what firewall rules I set, or how many times I run the firewall wizard, there are never any saved firewall rules because setup-config is read only or something!

Here's an example (edited for clarity)

gateway#dir flash

12283412 1335A-R10-9-1-E-firmware.biz

906 startup-config

4414 startup-config.bak

23862720 bytes used, 5719455 available, 29582175 total

gateway#erase startup-config

Erase startup-configuration? [y or n]y

Error erasing startup configuration.

gateway#dir

12283412 1335A-R10-9-1-E-firmware.biz

906 startup-config

4414 startup-config.bak

By starting with "config terminal" and then "do erase flash startup-config" it is possible to erase the darn thing, and then to copy the correct config file using the same sort of command "do copy flash startup.whatever flash startup-config".

Having done that, the Firmware didn't like the new startup-config file I put in place, and dropped me into bootstrap.  That would be OK if I could erase startup-config and copy in a blank one.  But startup-config is still read only:

bootstrap#erase startup-config

Erase startup-configuration? [y or n]y

Error erasing startup configuration.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what to do about it?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Sorry I've not seen that problem before. I'd say your best bet at this point is to put a call into tech support.

mgoldey
New Contributor II

Jump to solution

Tech support decided to RMA the unit as having a bad flash memory.  So I guess that's the answer.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos