10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 8:46 AM by adtn99

Disconnection from DS3 to servicing phone company

lwalker New Member

Currently, we support a call center with app. 211 representatives however many are experience trouble with disconnection from the services phone company. Based upon our information, these agents could be logged into the system for five or six hours before being knocked off or system disconnection. Little background, these customer services representatives are logged on the system all day with their ds0 being "off hook" the entire time. This process enable management to determine various aspect of the agents and time frame of which they have been logged into the system.

Overall, we opened trouble tickets with our servicing carrier (local & long distance) and neither has any clue to what is going on. Question: should we be looking at the timing setup in the local switch or verify the configuration setup within our local IVR

• Re: Disconnection from DS3 to servicing phone company
          tee1up Employee

What type Adtran product is being used? Is the MX2800 being used for this? If so does the MX2800 show any type alarms when the disconnect occurs or show any errors in the statistic menu's?

lwalker New Member

Currently, we are using the MX 2800 series however we aren't seeing any error nor alarms when this issue occurs however keep in mind that we have 23 agents logging into a single DS1 (23 channels) with approximately seven DS1. Attempting to locate any sort of error on a single channel would be almost impossible unles there is something I'm missing

adtn99 Employee

The MX2800 is an M13 Multiplexar meaning 28 DS1s on one side which are muxed up to a DS3 on the other side.  As such the unit provides DS3 level PM data and DS1 level PM data, but it doesn't report aything at the DS0 level which would be the 23 agents you reference in your trouble description.  I suggest you focus your attention on the DS1/DS0 level equipment i.e. channel bank, pbx, or telco switch.  jayh's comments below are relavent in that most telco's will not allow calls to be nailed up indefinetly across their network/switchs.

jayh Hall_of_Fame

Is this a new problem or has it been this way since implementation?  Most modern voice switches provide some form of overall call timer to tear down a call that exceeds some length, often several hours.  Old-school Bellheads called such overly long calls a "permanent signal" that would show up as a case of trouble.  Could either the serving switch or an intermediate voice path have such a timer involved? 

When this happens, do multiple agents drop at the same instant, or is is semi-random?  If all at the same instant it could be a network issue, if semi-random most likely not unless there is a high level of errors on the link continuously.

As a general rule, nailing up a switched circuit call to indicate presence isn't likely to scale well. You may want to look into a means to do this out-of-band.

lwalker New Member

Bingo, we have agents that sign into the between 6:30 am till 8:00 am with each of agent nailing up a line for the entire shift. The only time agents log off the system would be day completion, or some other management decision. I have opened several tickets with the local and long distance carrier inquiring about some form timing issue. With that being said, which department should I address my concerns and if engineering would know the path to take in order to resolve this problem

jayh Hall_of_Fame

lwalker wrote:

Bingo, we have agents that sign into the between 6:30 am till 8:00 am with each of agent nailing up a line for the entire shift. The only time agents log off the system would be day completion, or some other management decision. I have opened several tickets with the local and long distance carrier inquiring about some form timing issue. With that being said, which department should I address my concerns and if engineering would know the path to take in order to resolve this problem

I would address your concern to the designer of your call center implementation.  Nailing up a call for an entire shift isn't in my opinion a very smart thing to do.  In addition to tripping timers embedded into most modern switches, it is also likely to be rather costly.  Even at two cents per minute, nailing up 211 calls for eight hours will result in over of $2000.00 in toll charges - per day.

Encourage the designer of the call center to only keep calls up when the agent is actually talking on the phone, take the call down when each specific call is complete.  Use some other means other than the phone being off-hook to signal that an agent is available.  Most call center applications have an "Agent check-in/check out" feature for this purpose, either web-based or as part of a proprietary application running on each agent's screen.

lwalker New Member

Everything listed has already been address with our management team in hope to save money along with design a better method of keeping calls nailed up all day. So, we will be implementing SIP Trunking which will allow calls to remain off hook for long durations in addition the extra expense would become a bundle service.

jayh Hall_of_Fame

lwalker wrote:

Everything listed has already been address with our management team in hope to save money along with design a better method of keeping calls nailed up all day. So, we will be implementing SIP Trunking which will allow calls to remain off hook for long durations in addition the extra expense would become a bundle service.

Are the call center agents actually talking to the same person for six to eight hours without a break, or are you using the off-hook status to signal to some application that there is an agent available? 

If indeed there is a single real voice call of six hours duration, then you are taking the right approach in going to SIP, but this doesn't seem to be the case. 

If the off-hook state is used to signal agent availability and they aren't actually talking to the same person for that duration (don't these people ever eat or take a potty break?) then in my opinion you need to have a very serious conversation with whoever designed that call center application or look for a new one.  Going to SIP trunking will reduce your toll charges but off-hook call status isn't the right way to signal presence and you are very likely to introduce new problems.  Redesign the application to use another means to signal agent availability and save yourself future headaches.

lwalker New Member

I have spoken with the services phone company regarding the issue of establishing permanent phone connection for long time periods. Details I received was that none of the engineers has ever worked or known of any kind of timer created for DS0 or switched circuits. I have listed their reply below in addition what other options could we review to determine the reason for the off hook issues.

Your question regarding if there is a timing parameter set on a DSO which would drop a call if the timing is exceeded was presented to our DS0 technical group and we were advised that this is not something that is done during the provisioning of your trunks. They have actually not heard of this being done at all.  They will hold your ticket open for a week in case you wish to call in to ask other questions or would like to trouble shoot other options. 

adtn99 Employee

Based upon my knowledge of voice switches (5ESS and DMS100) I agree there isn't a provisioning option on the individual DS0/trunk.  However there is such an option within the Switch/ADMIN level that will drop what LECs call nailed up connections.  The LECs are concerned about call processing/availability of their voice switchs.

At any rate the MX2800/2810 is a DS3/DS1 multiplexar and doesn't do anything at the DS0 level.  If the MX2800/2810 isn't experiencing or registering DS3 or DS1 level errors, los, etc, etc then you will have to continue to look at the DS0/switch level.

1 of 1 people found this helpful