2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 6:40 PM by rfreeman

Finding documentation is not very easy (to say the least)....

rfreeman New Member

I have been trying to find Information on subtending TA5000 Nodes via EFM Groups, this functionality was rumored to exist by local support folk who  could not tell me what System Release this functionality appeared in nor could they tell me how to set it up.

But that's OK - after all I have access to the support Forums and documentation - right?

So, next quandary what terms do I use?

well after trying a few obvious and less obvious terms and searching documentation I finally find a reference to this capability in the "Total Access 5000
      System Release 6.0 Release Notes"

as:

"Added support for ESHDSL Network Mode to allow Node to Node connectivity over an
      Ethernet over Copper bonded link. A maximum of 32‐Ports may be bonded together to
      create a Node to Node connection. (6TA5KSR60‐40A, September 2011)"

But no instructions on how to set this up, however now I have an idea of the terminology used for this capability, so now to try and find out how to set it up I try various searches along the lines of:

ESHDSL Network Mode

"ESHDSL Network Mode"

"EFM Network mode" SHDSL

ESHDSL "Network Mode"

etc,etc,etc...

but the only indication I can find (eventually) on how to do this, is instructions in "Total Access 5000 Series Feature Guide System Release: 8.0" and of course being in SR8 I have no idea if it is relevant or not, and while I did get it working on the bench I have no way of knowing of this procedure is the correct one for SR7.3 (yes I have been caught out in the past).

So, OK, try a search for the SR7,3 Feature guide - with no luck,

Eventually I decide to download "Total Access 5000 System Release 7.3 Documents.zip" (although I would have expected any documents in this package to have also been available individually in the general technical documents).

so now I have a bundle of nondescript files with helpful names like "6CNCPDTS-44C.pdf" and" 6TA5KSR73-40A.pdf" which quite frankly mean nothing to me, but having found the instructions in "65K80FEAT-30-2.pdf I am now looking for a file with 'FEAT' in the name, but to no avail.....

So, now out of sheer desperation I start going through the files one at a time (yep, all 18 of them) and, and eventually, much to my surprise, I find what I want in a file helpfully called "65KEFMAPP-49C.pdf" which is apparently the "EFM Networking Mode Application Guide"

OK, now I know where the information is, it is time for me to try and figure out why I couldn't find it in the first place, so based on this new knowledge I try a few searches:

"EFM Networking Mode Application Guide"      but: There were no results for "EFM Networking Mode Application Guide"

"EFM Networking Mode"                                   nope, There were no results for "EFM Networking Mode"

well hang on, I have the document name, how about I try a search for:

65KEFMAPP-49C                                              but again, There were no results for 65KEFMAPP-49C

so now all of a sudden I really do not feel too embarrassed about my inability to find the information I was after on the support forums search, in the first place - but can I make a couple of minor suggestions?

can you give the files names that make some sort of sense, or at least be consistent with what files come with each release? I mean yes OK I can figure out the 65K73CLI-35A.pdf might be a CLI guide, but it is not immediately obvious what most of the other files are, Or maybe just have a standard bundle of files with some sort of translation chart to say what the files are.

Also if files are going to be hidden away in ZIP then either also have unzipped copies which appear in search results or some other way of picking up the information contained in the ZIP files.

Regards

Richard Freeman

• Re: Finding documentation is not very easy (to say the least)....
          paulab Employee

We apologize for making it difficult for you to find the information you were looking for.  The Total Access 5000 Series Feature Guide includes the latest information for EFM networking and is the document you should use for EFM networking.  We feel the mention of system release 8.0 in the feature guide was the source of the confusion.  The content in the feature guide is not release specific.  The feature guide is a reference guide that provides in-depth descriptions of system features for current and previous releases.  We are revising this statement in the feature guide and other guides to clarify what the document does support.

The Total Access 5000 Series Feature Guide (P/N 65K80FEAT-30A) has replaced the following:

Total Access 5000 EFM Networking Mode Application Guide (P/N 65KEFMAPP-49C)

Total Access 5000 Ethernet Ring Provisioning Application Guide (P/N 65KERPSAPP-49D)

Total Access 5000/5006 Pseudowire Provisioning Application Guide (P/N 65KPWE3APP-49E)

We greatly appreciate the step-by-step description of your process for finding information on the Support Community.  Input like yours helps us better understand how our customers use the Support Community and our documentation.  We will be making improvements based off your comments.

Thanks,

Paula

• Re: Finding documentation is not very easy (to say the least)....
              rfreeman New Member

Paula,

Thank you for your reply and explanation, you are correct I did not realise that the new feature guides were intended to replace the older versions and indeed was puzzled by the reference to it being the feature guide for SR8.0.

One thought would be to include in each section a brief statement as to when that feature was introduced (say in the "Scope of this Section" ) as if I had seen a statement to that effect I would have at least been confident that any procedures should be compatible to the SR7.3 node I was testing it on.

Regards

Richard Freeman