3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 6:13 AM by adtn99

Using 2 Primary, Secondary -54volt power sources with the TA1500

chicago911 New Member

Hi Guys-

I have a question for everyone here on the forum. We are using the TA1500 channel units with our Police, Fire, EMS radio transmitters across the fine City of Chciago. Presently most of our sites use generator to provide emergency power if ComEd has an outage which happen often at places. So I have access to a UPS which has a -54 volt power supply powering our SONET Fiber ring, etc. I ran a cable to the UPS backed up -54 volt ps connecting it to the secondary terminals on the TA1500 backplane. Now if I disconnect the Adtran's Primary -54 volt power supply the TA1500 stays completely powered up which is great but how come I don't receive an alarm stating the Primary power is gone?? If I enable "primary power alarm" in the SCU "alarms" area I receive a "minor" alarm even when the primary power is available. So I'm kinda confused how to flag and alarm condition of major that the primary or secondary power sources are gone??  I'm trying to keep our TA1500 from going down during transfer to emergency power.

Also if I assign an Aux1 Alarm will that show up in the Alarm Log? We are in the works of adding SNMP to our Adtrans, and UPS. Presently when there is a issue at a site I telnet into the TA1500, UPS  to see whats going on. I was thinking of adding a door contact to test it out our training from Black Box and Adtran didn't go into these areas.

Thanks

Don

• Re: Using 2 Primary, Secondary -54volt power sources with the TA1500
          adtn99 Employee

Chicago911,

I need more information from you before I can answer your questions.

Please provide the TA1500 Chassis P/N.

Please provide the TA1500 PSU/RGU module P/Ns.

Please provide the TA1500 SCU P/N and Software version.

This information will help me determine what alarm conditions are supported by the equipment you have deployed.

chicago911 New Member

SCU

1180008L23

Product ver K

Software V15

vac5moygta

PSI/RGU

1180007L3

s/n K05A1208

DGAB09093501D5

vapucclcaa

Chassis 23"

K30A7727

vammkj0gra

adtn99 Employee

Chicago911,

With your current mix of equipment (see below) the expected alarm operation is as follows.

If either PSU/RGU A or B fails the Alarm Log/Alarm condition will reflect Minor PSU/RGU A or B (assuming the SCU is provisioned as dual PSU/RGU mode).  The shelf is still powered up as you noted and therefore not service affecting.  The Minor Alarm condition is meant to notify the user they've lost PSU/RGU redundancy.

In regards to the redundant power input/termination the standard 23 inch chassis isn't capable of supporting Primary/Secondary loss of External power alarm condition.  Both Primary & Secondary power inputs are traced to both A & B PSU/RGU slots and as long as one of them are providing power both PSU/RGU A & B will be happy i.e. no alarm condition.  To support this feature requires the use of another chassis 19 inch or 23 inch # S.

P/N 1180001L1 TA1500 23 inch chassis (not a # S or 19inch)

P/N 1180008L23 SCU/RT Module software = V15

P/N 1180007L3 PSU/RGU Module

ADTRAN TECH SUPPORT