20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 11:21 AM by rob

SRV Failover using Transparent SIP Proxy

ss_brandon New Member

We're attempting to test SRV failover of phones while using transparent proxy.  Upon taking down the primary server, the adtran is returning a 480 routing failure to the phone which is preventing it from failing over to the secondary server.  Is anybody successfully using SRV to seamlessly failover to secondary SBC's?  If so...how did you accomplish it?

• Re: SRV Failover using Transparent SIP Proxy
          jayh Hall_of_Fame

With the TA900 series it just works. Make sure your SRV records are correctly formatted in the DNS server.

Do a "show hosts" on the Adtran device, you should see entries along the lines of: 

_sip._udp.domain.tld    sticky 302 SRV   5060 150 sbc1.domain.tld
          _sip._udp.domain.tld    sticky 302 SRV   5060 250 sbc2.domain.tld

sbc1.domain.tld   sticky 363 A    - - - ip.of.primary
          sbc2.domain.tld   sticky 504 A    - - - ip.of.secondary
            kshymkiw New Member

I am getting the exact same thing as your are.  For a moment in time it seems to make the Reg work, and then it quickly flips to 480 Routing Failed.

I keep getting Messages of the SIP Proxy adding the user, then expiring the user.  Here is my SIP Proxy config:

sip

sip udp 5060

no sip tcp

sip proxy

sip proxy transparent

sip proxy duplicates-allowed

sip proxy grammar proxy-id contact-user

The "show hosts" shows my SRV Records, and A Records:

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43137   SRV   5060    20     - sbc01.xxxxxx.xxxx

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43137   SRV   5060    10   100 sbc01.xxxxxxx.xxx

sbc01.xxxxxx.xxxx   sticky 43137   A        -     -     - <IP of Primary>

sbc01.xxx.xxxxxxx.xxx sticky 43137   A        -     -     - <IP of Secondary>

This is what keeps getting spewed on console every 30 seconds or so:

SIP.PROXY DB added proxy user <DN>@192.168.100.11

SIP.PROXY DB expired proxy user <DN>@192.168.100.11

jayh Hall_of_Fame

The DNS doesn't look to be properly formatted. Try adding a weight as well as a priority to both SRVs. With only one entry per priority, the weight shouldn't matter but it may need to be present for the Netvanta to parse it correctly.

You have:

The "show hosts" shows my SRV Records, and A Records:

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43137   SRV   5060    20     - sbc01.xxxxxx.xxxx

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43137   SRV   5060    10   100 sbc01.xxxxxxx.xxx

Change the secondary to:

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43137   SRV   5060    20   100 sbc01.xxxxxx.xxxx

Not sure if this will fix it or not but it might. It works fine with our NV3120s. Don't forget to clear your DNS cache when you make the change (or wait a while).

kshymkiw New Member

Both have a weight...0 is a valid weight as I want it to be a pure backup. Here is my DNS Zonefile entry for SRV:

_sip._udp.public-voice  IN SRV 10 100 5060      sbc01

_sip._udp.public-voice  IN SRV 20 0 5060        sbc01.ewc.acsalaska.net.

Are you also using SIP Transparent Proxy on the NV3120?  I believe this is interaction between the Transparent Proxy and SRV.

kshymkiw New Member

Jay,

I went ahead and tried to add a Weight other than  0 to my entry.  This did not produce any different results.

Show hosts:

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43058   SRV   5060    10   100 sbc01.acsalaska.ne

_sip._udp.public-voice sticky 43058   SRV   5060    20    10 sbc01.ewc.acsalask

sbc01.acsalaska.net    sticky 43058   A        -     -     - x.x.x.x

sbc01.ewc.acsalaska.ne sticky 43058   A        -     -     - x.x.x.x

I am still seeing 480 Routing Failure with Transparent SIP Proxy enabled.  The only way I can get this to work is to turn off, Transparent SIP Proxy.