4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2015 11:22 AM by evanh

vWLAN Monthly Usage Report

xtjohn New Member

We have been using Blue Socket devices for several years now, going back to the old BSC400 controllers. As the appliances have been dying off, we've been replacing them with vWLAN BSAP 1920 models attached to a VM virtual appliance at our central site. For years, the libraries that were using BlueSocket were able to simply gather how many users were on the wifi for a monthly period, numbers that now have become crucial for funding. We even had the monthly report being e-mailed to the users that needed the statistics for their monthly meetings. We are under a lot of pressure to come up with a solution to gathering this data for our 20 + sites. Adtran support tells me to gather the log information from teh appliance; send it to a syslogger; then parse the data. Really? The ability to do this was there. For years. Now it's on me to come up with a syslog server, and script up something that will pick a point in time (the monthly period), separate and sort  the various locations, and total up hits to the AP's for a month? Has anyone else come against this brick wall? I have users ready to look into alternative wifi solutions. And, we're hesitant to go ahead with any further installs until we can get an answer either way: Adtran will put back in this ability to simply run usage reports, Adtran will not put this feature back in, but will offer a simple script/executable that will do just that, or Adtran has decided they will NOT put this back in and have no plans to. Knowing this, we can then start to look into another wifi solution. Thanks for letting me vent!

• Re: vWLAN Monthly Usage Report
          kennethfernandes Employee

vWLAN has many reports available under status>dashboards. You can view these on demand as well as schedule to be sent via email on a reoccurring basis. Could you provide further information as to what information you are looking for in a report? From what I gather so far it appears you are looking for number of user connecting to the Wi-Fi at a site per month. Are you looking for number of unique users or max concurrent? Could you perhaps identify the report name from the BlueSecure Controllers that had previously provided you with what you were looking for?

xtjohn New Member

Hello Kenneth,

Thank you for the reply. I'm attaching a screen shot of the Edit Report screen from the BSC-600 appliance. In this example, the library was having the total number of users from the day before sent to them via e-mail (I'm assuming it was the 'User Session Statistics' report). When we first switched over to the vWLAN, were able to replicate something similar, but as the revisions have come along, we aren't able to do this anymore. The max concurrent users doesn't give the total amount of users for the day. The closest thing we could use is 'Client Count Over Time', but this doesn't allow sorting or separating by SSID; it's only a total of all the users. Our Libraries are identified in our vWLAN by their unique SSID's. Ideally what we would need is a 'Client Count Over Time by SSID'. The 'Over Time' amount could be anything at this point, even a 24 hour period, but a weeks total or a months total would be easier to distribute to each site.

BSC.jpg

kennethfernandes Employee

Some things that you could do today are 1. Create a domain for each library. 2. Also the same reporting information that was available in previous versions of vWLAN may be available in other screens. For example under status>logs you can type logout in the search field to download the logouts in CSV format like you used to be able to do in previous versions of vWLAN under reporting. You could sort this by time/ssid. Also this information is syslogged as well as was previously mentioned. 3. You could also leverage the API. We are considering adding the ability to further filter widgets by things like SSID, Wireless Template, role, etc in the future.

2015-04-20 04:57:15userlogoutsuccessfulIdle timed out user: at ip:192.168.10.65, mac:40:f4:07:6b:06:9b, role:Home, location:Home, ssid:gurutech, ap:00:19:92:30:10:60, tl. bytes in:6, tl. bytes out:7, login time:2015-04-20 14:46:50 +0000, session duration:00:10:25INFORMATION
                evanh Employee

John,

I am marking this question as Assumed Answered based on Kenneth's response.

If you have more information or questions, please do not hesitate to add to this post.

Thanks,

Evan