7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2019 6:03 PM by rogerm69

VMware Workstation Wireless Adapter Bridging Issue

rogerm69 New Member

Hello, I am testing the Blue Socket 1920 AP and vWLAN appliance. Things are going pretty good for the past several months but yesterday I ran across a situation I can't seem to figure out how to resolve. I have a laptop that runs VMware Workstation 11 and the laptop is connected to the network wirelessly through an SSID served by the 1920. When I run a guest that is configured to bridge the wireless adapter, I cannot get an IP address and Windows assigns the guest NIC a private (169.x.x.x) address. I tested the same configuration on a different vendor's AP and it works as expected. I went over the vWLAN appliance config but cannot find anything that mentions allowing multiple MAC addresses or anything like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

• Re: VMware Workstation Wireless Adapter Bridging Issue
          daniel.blackmon Employee

You should look into the LAN extension options that are now part of the Mesh feature in newer BSAP software. Without LAN extension, most wireless bridging applications are not supported due to the way that BSAPs handle source learning. If your bridge doesn't support address translation, then it will not work with a BSAP unless you use LAN extension.

rogerm69 New Member

Hi, thanks for the info. Currently, I only have 1 BSAP (1920) which can only be set up as a mesh portal. It asks for an uplink AP if I choose mesh point (which allows ethernet bridging). So am I to understand that I need 2 BSAPs in order to achieve the desired result of allowing VMware Workstation to use my wifi connection in bridge mode?

Thanks!

Roger

daniel.blackmon Employee

You might be able to look at the VMware Workstation settings in regards to bridging the wireless adapter. You just need to understand that BSAPs will only forward traffic out a radio interface for associated devices. I would imagine if you took a wireless capture, what you would see is that only one MAC address associates to the BSAP. So the BSAP only learns of one MAC address on associated to its radio interface. The other MAC address, when seen, is assumed to exist elsewhere in the LAN. The VMware Workstation software needs to support some kind of address translation technology.

evanh Employee

Roger,

I marked this question as Assumed Answered based on Daniel's response.

If you have more information or would like to ask another question, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

rogerm69 New Member

I believe I had a misconfiguration in the HP switch I was using from the very beginning. I had initially set up the switchports for untagged access and they worked fine for multiple clients connecting separately but not clients with VM guests running in bridged mode in VMware Workstation.  I recently migrated to an older Cisco switch, with again, access ports but now no clients were getting DHCP IP addresses so I did some digging and ended up configuring the switchports as trunk ports with the native VLAN defined and now the WiFi clients were getting issued DHCP addresses. Just now, I checked on the laptop running the VM guests and now the VM guests are communicating over wireless too via bridging. So I'm thinking if I would have, from the start (on the HP switch), configured the switchports for trunking, that my problem would have been resolved.

Roger