3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 2:28 PM by cj!

Turn ethernet interface 0/1 into subinterfaces remotely without hosing the connection?

danielj_co New Member

I have 6 locations with 3430 routers on our MPLS network that are all live. For each router, I need to change eth 0/1 so that it has subinterfaces for 3 VLANs.

Here is one of the interface configs:

interface eth 0/1

description desc LAN Block 10.6.0.0/23

ip address  10.6.0.1  255.255.254.0

no ip proxy-arp

ip access-policy LAN

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

no shutdown

no lldp send-and-receive

I need to turn it into this:

interface eth 0/1

encapsulation 802.1q

no shutdown

interface eth 0/1.1

description LAN

vlan-id 1 native

ip address  10.6.0.1  255.255.254.0

ip access-policy LAN

ip flow ingress

ip flow egress

no shutdown

interface eth 0/1.42

description Wireless Guest

vlan-id 42

ip address  10.6.20.2  255.255.254.0

ip flow ingress wireless

ip flow egress wireless

no shutdown

interface eth 0/1.50

description Shoretel VoIP VLAN 50

vlan-id 50

ip address  10.91.241.1  255.255.255.224

no shutdown

How can I do so remotely without hosing my connection as soon as I remove the ip address from eth 0/1 to create eth 0/1.1? I do not have ssh access through the WAN interface. There has to be some way to accomplish this though! I do know the trick about "reload in 10" so that the router will reboot to the previous config as long as I don't do a write mem first. These routers are in 6 remote locations with folks who don't know ssh from gopher, let alone talking them through serial access and getting them cables.

Thanks for any suggestions!

• Re: Turn ethernet interface 0/1 into subinterfaces remotely without hosing the connection?
          cj! Beta_User

Hi danielj_co:

If you're confident in your new configs and your sites can tolerate minor downtime, you can just copy to each unit's flash, copy to startup-configuration and schedule a reboot for overnight.

Using a text editor, copy the contents of your new config to your computer's clipboard.  Logon to an AOS unit, go to the Enable prompt and disable event notification:

no events

Prepare the console so that you can paste the config from your clipboard:

copy console mynewconfig.cfg

Then paste (right-click using Putty).  After the paste operation is finished, press Ctrl-D.  Now copy the new config to startup-config:

copy mynewconfig.cfg startup-config

Schedule a reload (using hhh:mm format)

reload in 10:00

When prompted, choose NO to saving the configuration, otherwise the current running-configuration will overwrite your changes to startup-configuration.  Then choose YES that you're sure to reload.

Note that command syntax may vary, depending on your AOS version.  Will this work for your situation?

Best,

Chris

1 of 1 people found this helpful