cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redbarron
New Contributor III

Configure an Interface to use a Network IP address as a Host IP Address

It appears that our friends at Verizon are now assigning IP's without regard to those used by network and broadcast.  They have provided me a XXX.XXX.XXX.4 address as a host with a mask of /30 via DHCP.  Needless to say the router doesn't like this; however my CradlePoint does and attempts to pass it through to my 3430 via DHCP.  Fun thing is I can hook up a Windows 7 laptop to the CradlePoint and it will use the IP and go to the Internet.  Anything I can do on the router to make it accept the .4/30 address?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx RB

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Configure an Interface to use a Network IP address as a Host IP Address

Hi redbarron:

I haven't run into this yet with any Cradlepoints on VZW.  I'm not sure what to think--it seems to be an invalid address for a host, and I'm surprised Windows can make use of it.  Could it have been a fluke and refreshing DHCP results in a valid host IP?  Either way, I recommend pressing Verizon Wireless about the issue.

Best,

Chris

redbarron
New Contributor III

This has happened again with the same carrier and the same device types.  I have created two fixes but I don't like using either one.

1. Go into the 4G connection and hard card a different default gateway (.1) and it will reboot the CP and give the Adtran a useable DF GW.

2. Go in on the Adtran and put a static IP of what the DHCP IP is from the CradlePoint and change the mask to a /24 and then configure a DF GW/route to .1 of the subnet.

Best option call Verizon and have them follow the networking rules (makes your head hurt though as you have to go through a bunch of people that nothing but process before you reach an intelligent life form that understands networking)!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It's good to be aware of this issue!

Chris