3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 6:34 AM by adtn99

Is a CSU/DSU Needed w/ MX2800?

usaf_joe New Member

We have a MX2800 with three T1s. Two of the T1s were already established circuits and going to a DSU card in a Cisco router. My third T1 is a new circuit and I'm being told by the TCF I do NOT need a CSU/DSU when going through the ADTRAN.

Can someone please clarify so I don't waste more time troubleshooting and more money by purchasing an HWIC that's not needed.

Thanks,

Joe

• Re: Is a CSU/DSU Needed w/ MX2800?
          adtn99 Employee

The MX2800 low speed side (28 DSX1) type of signal.  What equipment are you connecting to the third DSX1 handoff and what type of signal does it require DS1 aka T1 or DSX1?  Also, the MX2800 28 position patch panel requires RJ48 8 pin cable.  Ethernet cables will not work as they are pinned out differently.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              usaf_joe New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, T1 and DS1 signaling. I understand there is a difference in RJ45 and RJ48 pinouts, but are they not 1-for-1 on each end? Then why would that matter? I did use an Ethernet RJ45 pinout, but I will terminate an RJ48 and try that.

Joe

adtn99 Employee

T1/DS1 signal is a 12v peak to peak signal.  The MX2800 hands off DSX1 6v peak to peak signal so it’s possible a CSU/DSU might be needed?  I recommend you secure a RJ48C eight pin cable to connect the equipment to the MX2800 first and see if the equipment will come up.  RJ48C cables are pinned out differently than Ethernet cables and I know first hand Ethernet cables do not work with the MX2800.

1 of 1 people found this helpful