2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 12:04 PM by evanh

Bluesocket AP Adjacency

ehouser New Member

Can someone explain exactly how the BSAPs form their adjacency with other BSAPs and how to view them?  What I notice is, after a period of time, I click on the Adjacent APs link and see various APs.  Some of these are BSAPs and some are not as expected.  BUT, for some features of the Bluesocket to work, there needs to be an adjacency formed between BSAPs and info passed between them for proper roaming etc.  When I view the Adjacent APs section, very few times do I see the surrounding BSAPs even when I know from testing the RSSI is sufficient.  The Adjacent APs section is a little misleading OR I am not understanding this because APs here can be from a long time ago and never cleared out and it doesn't really show you the "formed adjacencies" from within the Bluesocket system itself. I know there is also a value in the platform configuration that is between 60 and 0, but I can find no real good explanation of what this means.

Thank you

Eric Houser

• Re: Bluesocket AP Adjacency
          evanh Employee

Eric,

An important thing to understand first about the AP adjacencies on that page are that these are RF related only and do not necessarily factor into needs for the key caching or other operations involved in roaming. The APs, if operating in AP mode, will be servicing clients and operating only on one channel. This means that the adjacencies you see will only be shown if both APs are on the same channel. This means, assuming you have a channel re-use plan in place, that you most likely will never see adjacencies on this page between two APs directly next to each other in your heat map.

The AP adjacencies page has two main benefits:

1. You can see if APs you have placed on the same channel are broadcasting at too high a power setting (meaning they will see eachother at greater that ~-60dBm).

2. You can view rogue APs and get a general area of where they are.

As for the setting you mentioned, if you wouldn't mind pointing out the specific one I would be happy to explain it in further detail.

Thanks,

Evan

ADTRAN TSE

• Re: Bluesocket AP Adjacency
            evanh Employee

I am marking this question as Assumed Answered. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to respond to this thread.

Thanks,

Evan

ADTRAN Product Support Engineer