3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 9:20 AM by stevegcc

What does one do with DCMA Infringement notices?

rgbeard New Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one that receives these.  Every time an occupant of our building decides to stream or torrent some content from an illicit source, our ISP forwards these to us.

The problem is, there's no information on them to identify who, within our complex, created the violation.

Does anyone have an answer?  Or do you simply delete them, as I do?

Rusty.

• Re: What does one do with DCMA Infringement notices?
          daniel.blackmon Employee

Hi Rusty,

I would be cautious just deleting them. What you might consider is using the dashboard views to find your top talkers, and use that information to potentially narrow your search. If someone is downloading or uploading large amounts of data, you can sometimes assume they are your culprit. You could also block common torrent ports, however, that would mean you are also blocking some legitimate traffic. And common torrent ports is perhaps a misnomer; there is a large range of possible ports. If you decide to block traffic, just be ready to get some calls coming in to you or your helpdesk. My experience with this is that the people doing something illegal will not be the ones to call you.

Those are the options you will have in the vWLAN product set. There are some other options if you do some searching on your preferred search engine. Ultimately, you may need to look into solution for Unified Threat Management.

evanh Employee

I am marking this question as Assumed Answered. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to respond to this thread.

Thanks,

Evan

ADTRAN Product Support Engineer

stevegcc New Member

Hi Rusty,

I would not just delete these either. When my ISP forwards any digital rights infringement related stuff, I try in good faith to check it out and respond as such to the ISP.    If we do in fact ID the individual, we will speak to the person and warn them of inappropriate use.   We DO NOT share any names with the ISP.  Generally, our ISP will provide us the IP address and precise time of the inpropriety.  From that we can look at our firewall logs to see what internal IP address connected to the site making the complaint.  And from there we can sometimes determine from our wireless system logs who was logged on unless it was a guest user.  Obviously, if you do not enforce strict authentication standards to those who use your system, you may not ultimately have the information to determine who did what and when.