3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 11:17 PM by jayh

Trying to set up remote access to a 1531 switch using a static ip

srk2016 New Member

I have a 3448 router that has a Comcast Dsl modem connected to switchport 0/1 that I configure as Vlan 2 with 2 statics . On switchport 0/2 I will have a 1531 switch connected. I have set the router switch port 0/2 to trunk in the router and set the switch as trunk on port 0/1. I am wondering what I am missing to get the 1531 switch to be able to connect to it by GUI from my office offsite using one of the two statics.

• Re: Trying to set up remote access to a 1531 switch using a static ip
          jayh Hall_of_Fame

Create a VLAN interface on the VLAN from which you want to manage the switch. Assign an IP address within the subnet on that VLAN to the VLAN interface you just created. Optionally define a static default route to the gateway on that subnet if you need to access it from different routed subnets. For security, pick a good enable password, change the default admin user/password and consider an access-list applied to the http server and ssh lines limiting access to trusted networks.

Example:

config t

interface vlan 2

ip address W.X.Y.Z X.X.X.X  ! <IP and subnet mask>

no shutdown

exit

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 W.X.Y.Y

end

wr mem

srk2016 New Member

This is how I have the router and switch configured:

This config does not seem to work. I know I am missing something.

On The router:

(This is the port that is connected to the switch)

interface switchport 0/2

spanning-tree edgeport

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

switchport access vlan 2

switchport voice vlan 1

On the switch:

(Remote Access and allows router to assign DHCP)

interface gigabit-switchport 0/1

spanning-tree edgeport

no shutdown

switchport mode trunk

switchport access vlan 2

switchport voice vlan 1

jayh Hall_of_Fame

OK, you've listed the physical interface configuration. You need a reachable IP address on the device in order to access it remotely. Switchport interfaces are layer-2 only so you can't assign IP addresses to them. What you can do is to create a VLAN interface. It isn't a physical interface, it's a logical interface that is reachable from every switchport interface where the VLAN appears.

My example configuration in bold above shows how you make a VLAN interface and assign an address to it.