3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 10:30 AM by dpeterson

WEP and WPA2 for different SSIDs on the same AP

ehouser New Member

I have a customer who needs to run WEP for legacy scanning hardware and WPA2 for laptops and mobile devices.  Is it possible to run an SSID for WEP encryption and at the same time, run an SSID for all other devices on the same AP, which is a 2035 device.  This is vWLAN 2.8 as well.

• Re: WEP and WPA2 for different SSIDs on the same AP
          evanh Employee

Eric,

It is possible to run WEP and also have other SSIDs using different forms of authentication.

As I am sure you know, WEP is extremely insecure so be mindful of this while using these devices. If there is any type of sensitive information, I would recommend the customer move to a non-legacy protocol.

Thanks,

Evan

ADTRAN Product Support Engineer.

ehouser New Member

Completely understood.  The customer had scanners that on their previous wireless system, worked perfectly fine but ran WEP.  They wanted to use WPA/AES (which I am not even sure is possible.  I thought it was either WPA2/AES or WPA/TKIP) and was having rough issues with the scanners, but not mobile devices.  We had to revert down to WEP yet again to test stability of the scanners.  During a packet capture, I would notice the AP deauth'ing the scanner due to an error code 11, invalid element.  The scanners were very instable which is the cause for the change but we are aware of the WEP issue and the customer was made aware of it as well.

Thank you!

dpeterson New Member

Also be aware that WEP is broken in V2.8 and later.  It does not require any authentication at all.