cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ehbowen
New Contributor

Resetting passwords and setting up a new configuration on a secondhand 1534 PoE?

Jump to solution

I purchased a secondhand NetVanta 1534 PoE for our church late last year. It has been working well, for the most part, but I have not been able to customize it...our VoIP phones don't like it one bit and we have some Cheap Chinese security cameras that I would like to be able to keep from "phoning home".

I have not been able to get into the GUI; I can access the login requester but it does not accept the default username and password. I located an RS-232 adapter for my laptop and just today have been able to get into the CLI, but I haven't found good instructions for how to proceed from there. I wouldn't mind simply resetting to factory defaults, but the switch does not accept the commands which were in the "Restoring an AOS Device..." document and I can only presume that it pre-dates the firmware with default settings built in.

I took a snip shot of the version information:

Capture.20180710.PNG

If I can get access to reset the GUI password or else to restore the whole unit to the factory defaults, here's what I would like to do:

• Optimize six ports for VoIP service.
  • Configure a VLAN for eight cameras which will allow them to talk only to the surveillance station server and to an admin computer (for configuration) on either a VPN or else physically plugged in to the same subnet.

I'm very new to Adtran; any help will be appreciated. Thanks----Eric.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Resetting passwords and setting up a new configuration on a secondhand 1534 PoE?

Jump to solution

To get you started -

The firmware is available on our website www.ADTRAN.com  under Home»Support»Product Downloads»Software Releases

Example for the 1500 series switches -

https://supportforums.adtran.com/community/netvanta/netvanta-1500-1600-series/software

The upgrade instructions are also linked in the Release Notes of the Firmware release.  It will point to https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1672 for Upgrading Firmware in AOS.

• This switch will do Layer 3 IP routing, but it does provide a Firewall, or VPN
    If the Camera's are on a separate VLAN and different IP range than what the Internet router is providing, they will not be able to get internet access ( even though they can send packets to the router).
    And if you turn on IP routing in the switch, and use the Switch as the default gateway to all devices that want to see the camera's, they will work.  And the internet will still work on the PCs.
  • For VOIP phones, with the new firmware that includes the VoIP Wizard - Configuring NetVanta Switches for a VoIP Network

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Resetting passwords and setting up a new configuration on a secondhand 1534 PoE?

Jump to solution

To get you started -

The firmware is available on our website www.ADTRAN.com  under Home»Support»Product Downloads»Software Releases

Example for the 1500 series switches -

https://supportforums.adtran.com/community/netvanta/netvanta-1500-1600-series/software

The upgrade instructions are also linked in the Release Notes of the Firmware release.  It will point to https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-1672 for Upgrading Firmware in AOS.

• This switch will do Layer 3 IP routing, but it does provide a Firewall, or VPN
    If the Camera's are on a separate VLAN and different IP range than what the Internet router is providing, they will not be able to get internet access ( even though they can send packets to the router).
    And if you turn on IP routing in the switch, and use the Switch as the default gateway to all devices that want to see the camera's, they will work.  And the internet will still work on the PCs.
  • For VOIP phones, with the new firmware that includes the VoIP Wizard - Configuring NetVanta Switches for a VoIP Network
ehbowen
New Contributor

Jump to solution

Well, I can report partial success. I was able to bypass the passwords, access the GUI, and upgrade the firmware. However, I still have some outstanding issues:

• There is no "Voice" menu item as I was expecting to find from the document you referenced. I'm attaching a screenshot below. I tried both the 13.2.1 and the 13.3.1 firmware. Since this is a first-generation 1534, that functionality might not be available. How can I configure a bank of ports....say 6...for VoIP without using the wizard?
  • We are using two Unifi AP AC-Lite wireless access points. One is compatible with the PoE supplied by the NetVanta and has been working just fine since last year, but the other had apparently been on the shelf too long and never booted up with our switch. I called the factory and, after checking the date code, they said that particular unit was built for 24 volts only. I attempted setting the PoE configuration for that port to "Legacy", but the WAP still would not boot up. I do have it working with the (supplied) PoE injector, but it would be preferable to run it from the NetVanta's PoE if possible. Is there any way to customize the power configuration on a single port?
  • I haven't yet worked on the VLAN for the cameras. I'm still learning the ins and outs of networking, so my question is how I configure the default gateway on the server and the cameras so that the cameras can reach the server but not the internet, but internet traffic both ways flows freely to and from the server (firewall restrictions considered, of course!)?

Screenshot_2018-07-12 Switch 1 - Rack Management Interface.png

ehbowen
New Contributor

Jump to solution

It looks as though what I need for the Wireless Access Point is to configure one port on the NetVanta for "passive" PoE [ETA: forced "on"]. Can this be done, and how?

Our VoIP issue appears to be related to DHCP. When I plug the phones in they power up normally and go through the boot process, and the "Ports" display on the GUI shows a good connection at 100Mbps, but they never get an IP address...shows 0.0.0.0 on the phone. DHCP is currently handled by our building's router, a MikroTik RB3011. However, other devices connected to the NetVanta connecct to DHCP and get an address with no problem. Suggestions?

I really need to sit down with a good book (or on-line course) and dig into the basics of networking and routing. Can anyone suggest a good resource? It doesn't have to be free but, right now, it does need to be cheap! Edit To Add: Found this: TCP/IP Clearly Explained. That's a Google Books preview, but some other party has the full PDF posted with a (very) little searching. However, I went ahead and purchased a (used) hard copy for reference. Supplemental info, especially that applicable to Adtran and AOS, is still welcomed however.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

You will need to open a support ticket to get the Boot Rom version required.  This firmware requires a  Minimum Boot ROM 17.06.03.00.

This Boot ROM is not causing the DHCP issues.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

ehbowen wrote:

• We are using two Unifi AP AC-Lite wireless access points. One is compatible with the PoE supplied by the NetVanta and has been working just fine since last year, but the other had apparently been on the shelf too long and never booted up with our switch. I called the factory and, after checking the date code, they said that particular unit was built for 24 volts only. I attempted setting the PoE configuration for that port to "Legacy", but the WAP still would not boot up. I do have it working with the (supplied) PoE injector, but it would be preferable to run it from the NetVanta's PoE if possible. Is there any way to customize the power configuration on a single port?

The Ubiquiti passive PoE is very simple raw 24 or 48-volt power applied to the cable with no negotiation or checking to see if the remote device will be damaged by having power applied to its Ethernet port. Standards-based 802.3af and 802.3at PoE goes through a handshake procedure to ensure that the remote device actually is compatible before applying power.

For some time Ubiquiti was offering a free adapter from standards-based PoE to their passive setup to purchasers of early Unifi AC-Lite access points because of this incompatibility. I don't know if this is still the case and it's outside of the scope of this forum. It's discussed on the Ubiquiti support forums.

jayh
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

ehbowen wrote:

Our VoIP issue appears to be related to DHCP. When I plug the phones in they power up normally and go through the boot process, and the "Ports" display on the GUI shows a good connection at 100Mbps, but they never get an IP address...shows 0.0.0.0 on the phone. DHCP is currently handled by our building's router, a MikroTik RB3011. However, other devices connected to the NetVanta connecct to DHCP and get an address with no problem. Suggestions?

Best practice is to have a voice VLAN configured on the switch and the phones separate from your data VLAN, with a different subnet and QoS settings. If you do this you'll need to extend that VLAN to your router and configure a separate DHCP scope on the router for the phones. Most IP phones contain a smart switch internally and will pass the data VLAN to the "PC" port on the phone while using the voice VLAN internally.

This voice VLAN can be set using LLDP and assigning the voice VLAN in the switch port configuration, or it can be manually set on the phones in which case you would need to manually set the voice ports on the switch as trunk ports to match. There's also a semi-proprietary protocol similar to LLDP originated by Cisco called CDP. Some non-Cisco phones such as Polycom support this but Adtran switches do not. You'll either need to manually set the voice VLAN or use LLDP.